The Miami AmeriCorps Alums had a special guest on Thursday. Daniel Becton, founder of Project Ubuntu, paid a visit to Salsa Fiesta to talk about his organization and the good work he is doing throughout the country.
Project Ubuntu visits, celebrates and supports people in one community in every state and Washington, D.C. who embody “ubuntu” through their commitment to service. Project Ubuntu firmly believes that such individuals transcend class and ethnic categories and connects them with a massive network of goodwill by telling their stories and mobilizing a contagion of kindness.
Project Ubuntu will spend one week in one community from each state and Washington, D.C., spanning 51 diverse urban and rural communities between Aug. 26, 2012 and Aug. 24, 2013. Daniel will cover 16,000 miles of American road and will also fly to Hawaii and Alaska.
We were honored to have Daniel spend his Thursday evening with us and share his message of connecting with and serving others. We strongly encourage everyone to follow Daniel on his blog and on twitter.
Check out Salsa Fiesta every Thursday at 7:00 or so as we hang out, eat burritos and build community through service.
After two weeks of nominations and voting, the 2013 Miami AmeriCorps Alum Leadership Team has been decided! Congratulations to our elected officers and thank you to everyone who took the time to nominate and vote for some really outstanding individuals! 2013 is looking to be a big year for AmeriCorps Alums in Miami and throughout the nation. Together, we are going to make a difference in Miami and beyond.
- President: Kevin Bulger
- Vice-President: Vanessa Christiansen
- Secretary: Michael Brennan
- Service Chair: Darrill Gaschler
- Leadership Chair: Sean Dollard
- Mentorship Chair: Catherine Houlihan
- Awareness Chair: Victoria Edwards
- Connecting Chair: Naomi Ross
If you were nominated but did not win a seat – you are still a winner in our book! Stay tuned as further ways to lead our Chapter open up shortly!
City Year Miami Alumni hosted their Second Annual Fundraiser to raise funds for a spring service weekend on Thursday, December 6, 2012 at the Filling Station & Garage Bar.
The event featured trivia, cool sunglasses, and great friends.
City Year is an education focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service to keep students in school and on track to graduation.
City Year alumni are leaders who achieve larger impact and strive to address pressing public problems in their local communities.
Miami Public Allies, a national service and AmeriCorps cousin, hosted an alumni get together on Thursday, December 6, 2012 at City Hall the Restaurant to continue a legacy of service in Miami. From the Miami Public Allies Website:
“Since 2007, we’ve developed more than 100 young leaders. Allies are young, diverse, and passionate social change makers who support community projects in partnership with hundreds of local nonprofit organizations. Our group helps to develop the required leadership skills needed for our members to have succesfull and sustainable projects. We do this by placing young and developing leaders in local nonprofit organizations for 10-month apprenticeships.”
Public Allies are hosted by Catalyst Miami, a leader in connecting people to purpose in our community. Check out the below graphic describing Public Allies Alums in detail:
The Nominees for the Miami AmeriCorps Alums were announced today. Click on the link here to cast your vote. Without further ado, the nominees are…
- President = a) Kevin Bulger and b)write-in
- Vice-President = a) Vanessa Christiansen and b) write-in
- Secretary = a) Diana Aranda; b) Mike Brennan; and c) Jaheera White
- Treasurer = a) write in only
- Service Chair = a) Darrill Gaschler; b) Catherine Houlihan; and c) Vanessa Christainsen
- Leadership Chair = a) Sean Dollard; b) Darrill Gaschler; c) Mike Brennan; and d) Jaheera White
- Mentorship Chair = a) Catherine Houlihan; b) Sean Dollard; and c) Katherine Baas
- Awareness Chair = a) Naomi Ross; b) Diana Aranda; c) Victoria Edwards
- Connecting Chair = a) Naomi Ross; b) Mike Brennan; c) Victoria Edwards